Alagaesia Online Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

quantity/quality

4 posters

Go down

quantity/quality Empty quantity/quality

Post by sinitar Fri 7 Jan - 14:08:20

I will start by congratulating everyone who is working or contributing to the creation of this game, because it requires more creativity and dedication than farming herbs in WoW(hey, how is that creative?!)

Anyway, my main point is that everyone is pretty enthusiastic about this whole project, and while this is nowhere near a bad thing, the features you suggest might be a bit too much, both for the game and for a new player.

Depending on the amount of stuff pumped into the game, it will be difficult to handle each individual aspect of it. Since I am new, I'm not quite sure about an eloquent example I can give, so I will use the enchantment ideas posted somewhere else at the suggestion section. Basically, there were weapons enchanted with a particular element that makes them stand out from the crowd. What a game developer wants is quality and diversity, and that means eliminating gimmicks.

What's a gimmick?

A gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. Major product features which are poorly designed become known as gimmicks to the product users.

My first thought races towards equipment, classes or abilities. Balancing everything out is not that easy, and I think it's easier to start slowly and steady rather than have the player feel crushed by the amount of features present in a game.
sinitar
sinitar
Hatchling
Hatchling

Back to top Go down

quantity/quality Empty Re: quantity/quality

Post by MINDROP Fri 7 Jan - 14:19:56

Yes, alot talked about wont be in the launch. Launch will only have maybe 3 types of material for armour and weapons.
MINDROP
MINDROP
SPARTAN GOD OF THIS REALM

http://armstrong.team-talk.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by sinitar Fri 7 Jan - 14:27:51

Oh so you will add features progressively, like it was with the World of Warcraft pathes? That's a good idea. Now I have to take my time and browse this forum so I can catch up, else I might just repeat what the others have already suggested.
sinitar
sinitar
Hatchling
Hatchling

Back to top Go down

Post by MINDROP Fri 7 Jan - 14:45:54

Yes, Span codes fast, but not that fast, and we also just lost out pixel artist. complicating things
MINDROP
MINDROP

http://armstrong.team-talk.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Durz Fri 7 Jan - 20:52:27

Ya if eveything talked about was included when the game first co e up, we would lose lots of people because it is too hard to understand right away. If we complicate it later, nobody will quit because they will get the basics.
Durz
Durz
Lord of the Minions
Lord of the Minions

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorn777 Sat 8 Jan - 0:47:07

Like for example, aerial combat will not be included until later, since it's not really necessary at the moment. And becoming a Rider or Beast Master (a Beast Master is a person who can control/tame wild animals, with progression in level a person will be able to control more powerful animals like Feldunosts, Nagran, Fanghurn, Shrrgs & Urzhadn) will take a lot of time, since you have to level up to become a Rider or control Fanghurn to fly & fight in the air.
Thorn777
Thorn777
Lord Of The Riders
Lord Of The Riders

Back to top Go down

Post by Durz Sat 8 Jan - 3:14:48

Exactly.
Durz
Durz
Lord of the Minions
Lord of the Minions