Alagaesia Online Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND

+10
Lone Wolf
Rogers
Spartan
deranged
Famoosh
Neostriker
Alfreredocsil
Durz
MINDROP
The Spaniard
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Stick with BYOND, or attempt to flip

Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND - Page 3 I_vote_lcap12%Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND - Page 3 I_vote_lcap88%Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 88% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 17

Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND - Page 3 Empty Re: Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND

Post by Alfreredocsil Tue 8 Mar - 19:55:49

No idea. I'm ascared of messing up my new PC!!!! affraid affraid
Alfreredocsil
Alfreredocsil
THE GOD OF THIS REALM
THE GOD OF THIS REALM

https://alagaesiaonline.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND - Page 3 Empty Re: Possible, but less likely, alternative to BYOND

Post by Spartan Tue 8 Mar - 20:00:06

Lol we don't need that.Don't mess it up!Or else I'll kill you.....
Spartan
Spartan
Armstrong Guild Leader
Armstrong Guild Leader

Location : You would love to know wouldn't you.....STALKER!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spaniard Tue 8 Mar - 20:10:36

I think Span said at one point that he wouldn't do a pay to play game anyway.

True, I have no intention on making this game pay-to-play. Though, when it comes out I will probably offer little things to help somewhat with the server. Stuff like name changes, class resets, little things that you won't be able to do normally, I'd probably charge like a few bucks. But that's as far as I'll go with payment.

But keep in mind that Blender is a possible, but very unlikey alternative. There are still lots of things that are unknown to me in terms of hosting, chatting, etc. So I need to find out Blender's limitations before I put more thought into switching over.

And the game will, most likely, have to be loosely based on the IC to avoid any possible complications with CP's copyright and what not.

The Up Side to that would be that we have much, much, more freedom to make this world how we want it. Of course it will be sad to see Alagaesia Online morph into something different, but I think that as long as we're having fun with it, and we're all still pals in the end, it shouldn't matter what the final product is.

Also, I think the fact that we would be making this our own game would spark more activity in the forum. Quest contests will be needed more, Cities and Towns will need to be made, creatures and NPCs as well. In my opinion, I think changing from AO to something loosely based on the IC would help us way more than keeping it strictly IC and having to work with what the books gave us

And Alfy, I wouldn't risk it lol
The Spaniard
The Spaniard
GAME WARDEN
GAME WARDEN

Back to top Go down

Post by Neostriker Tue 8 Mar - 20:12:45

Alfreredocsil wrote:No idea. I'm ascared of messing up my new PC!!!! affraid affraid
It wont'. Just download Blender, right click the program, and go to compatibility, check the box saying "Run in earlier version of windows" and click WIndows XP in the dropdown box, I've done it millions of times, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it won't mess up your computer.
Neostriker
Neostriker
Young Dragon
Young Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MINDROP Tue 8 Mar - 20:17:44

Okay, so, well, we need to pick up entries to the second quest contests, and I shall create a contest to design a city after that.
MINDROP
MINDROP
SPARTAN GOD OF THIS REALM

http://armstrong.team-talk.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfreredocsil Tue 8 Mar - 20:21:11

I'm awaitin to see if Span decides to chance the change over first...then I might try it. I'm reading a few forum posts where people are using the 2.5 version with no problems on windows 7 and the yare old posts from 09'.

No need to even worry about it though if we don't end up using it. I like he ideas Span, let us know wha tyou find out about the networking stuff. I read quite a bit on networking and it seems it's all done with programming and the game would be free to publish but I'm not sure I understood what I read.
Alfreredocsil
Alfreredocsil
THE GOD OF THIS REALM
THE GOD OF THIS REALM

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Tue 8 Mar - 20:54:52

I hope we go with blender. :Noadd:
Spartan
Spartan
Armstrong Guild Leader
Armstrong Guild Leader

Location : You would love to know wouldn't you.....STALKER!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by MINDROP Tue 8 Mar - 23:10:33

Oh, for those with windows 7, you can always install Linux. And Linux will NOT mess your comp up.
MINDROP
MINDROP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogers Wed 9 Mar - 0:52:33

hey guys, its been a while since i have posted. I have followed the forums loosely though.

@on-topic
I have a quick question for span. Since Python is not a company or program/database, what would the game itself be hosted on? Please, DO NOT try to host it on a home computer unless this is the sole purpose of the computer and is able to be left on 24/7. I know that python is not a company like Byond is. It is simply a scripting language compatible with Blender. So where would the game be hosted? I dont know if you are willing to pay for a vps (virtual private server) or a Dedi Server (dedicated) as these can be quite expensive. (up to 100$ a month for top of the line stuff)(about as low as 25$ a month for anything worth getting). I thougt this should be brought up before we get to far into the process of making, if we decide to take this route. Also, one more general question for you span, would you have it be a download based game or a web based game? here are the pros and cons to downloadable and non-downloadable:
pros downloadable: - Fast image rendering/gameplay as they are stored on pc.

Cons downloadable: - you have to download it.

Pros web-based: - you dont have to download it
- requires little effort to begin playing, attracts players easier.

Cons web-based: - slower image rendering (runescape sort of style when you reach a new map.)
- depends on a consistent web browser that will not lose internet connection. (this matters because data
is not stored in your computer) i suppose this also depends on how you script the game as well.

Sorry for the essay guys, just had a few questions and thought i would explain why i asked them. thanks Very Happy
Rogers
Rogers
Hatchling
Hatchling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spaniard Sat 12 Mar - 23:42:46

hey guys, its been a while since i have posted. I have followed the forums loosely though.

@on-topic
I have a quick question for span. Since Python is not a company or program/database, what would the game itself be hosted on? Please, DO NOT try to host it on a home computer unless this is the sole purpose of the computer and is able to be left on 24/7. I know that python is not a company like Byond is. It is simply a scripting language compatible with Blender. So where would the game be hosted? I dont know if you are willing to pay for a vps (virtual private server) or a Dedi Server (dedicated) as these can be quite expensive. (up to 100$ a month for top of the line stuff)(about as low as 25$ a month for anything worth getting). I thougt this should be brought up before we get to far into the process of making, if we decide to take this route. Also, one more general question for you span, would you have it be a download based game or a web based game? here are the pros and cons to downloadable and non-downloadable:

Cons web-based: - slower image rendering (runescape sort of style when you reach a new map.)
- depends on a consistent web browser that will not lose internet connection. (this matters because data
is not stored in your computer) i suppose this also depends on how you script the game as well.

Sorry for the essay guys, just had a few questions and thought i would explain why i asked them. thanks

I've already decided not to go with Blender for that, and other minor reasons. I would have to search a bit to actually find something to host the game on. And I know how bad it is to host something on an undedicated home computer, the gameplay would be very laggy for nearly everyone playing.

So I thought I would just stay with BYOND because all I have to do is get a server and connect that to the BYOND website and it's up and running. So even though we'll have that 32x32 restriction with the players' base (everything else is fine) we'll have everything we need to make the game and not have to scavenge the internet to find means of hosting/finishing the game via Blender.

On that note, once I get a computer I will be doing this while I look for someone to host: I will release the game in an offline version first, updating it whenever I put a reasonable amount of content compared to the last one released. The reason for the offline version is so that I can code the core systems of the game and have you guys test it out on your own computers and, hopefully, give me feedback on what has bugs or needs adjusting.

So let me explain this using an example:
---It's April 7th, I upload the game(offline version) on BYOND for download. You download it, it has your little blob character(or w/e it'll be) and you have a number of verbs(commands): "Attack" "Defend" "Summon monster" "Level Up" "Restart",etc,etc. You use these skills to test if everything is okay. Of course you won't really need to check if the summoning is okay because you won't have that when the game comes out, but check to see if Attacking is okay, defending works. THEN it's April 20th, I post on this site that I updated the game, you download the update and now you have all the classes and their abilities, you test it out, give me feedback and then finally once we get a server, I adjust the code to connect people and save their data to it, the game is finally online but still in development(meaning I will still need plenty of feedback on bugs, etc)

So yea, that's about it for now
The Spaniard
The Spaniard
GAME WARDEN
GAME WARDEN

Back to top Go down

Post by MINDROP Sat 12 Mar - 23:47:53

Okay thanks man.
MINDROP
MINDROP

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfreredocsil Sun 13 Mar - 0:08:56

Alright, thnaks for the update Span...it's always exciting to get new news from you. That sounds like a great plan to me!
Alfreredocsil
Alfreredocsil
THE GOD OF THIS REALM
THE GOD OF THIS REALM

Back to top Go down

Post by Durz Sun 13 Mar - 0:13:57

Ahh to bad, I was really excited for Blender. Oh well, sounds good anyways
Durz
Durz
Lord of the Minions
Lord of the Minions

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf Sun 13 Mar - 3:53:31

So in other words, Beta version will be off-line and the non Beta will be on-line?
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
Lord Aettin Rioa

Back to top Go down

Post by Neostriker Sun 13 Mar - 15:42:02

Lone Wolf wrote:So in other words, Beta version will be off-line and the non Beta will be on-line?

Probably, but it sounds good, I wouldn't want people bugging me when I'm trying to find any bugs. Get the pun?
Neostriker
Neostriker
Young Dragon
Young Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf Sun 13 Mar - 19:08:20

Yep I do lol.

Buggy People bug you a lot don't they?
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
Lord Aettin Rioa

Back to top Go down

Post by Neostriker Sun 13 Mar - 19:54:15

Yeah, especially when there's bugs in the room, and you're trying to fix a bug in your computer.
Neostriker
Neostriker
Young Dragon
Young Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorn777 Mon 14 Mar - 5:16:55

Enough with the bugs, you guys are making me itch ... the offline Beta sounds OK, I guess. If it helps Span sort out the glitches (I'm NOT going to use the word 'bugs' anymore), then that's fine with me.
Thorn777
Thorn777
Lord Of The Riders
Lord Of The Riders

Back to top Go down

Post by Argetlam Tue 22 Mar - 9:30:03

What would you do with blender then? Start everything all over again?

I mean,move to 3d from 2d,basically.

Im decent Cinema 4d artist,feel free to ask if you need help. Here's some of my works: https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/g/nimetnfa.png/
Argetlam
Argetlam
Egg
Egg

Back to top Go down

Post by Durz Tue 22 Mar - 19:18:09

Well, that's a good work, but I think Span has already decided on BYOND, for now.
Durz
Durz
Lord of the Minions
Lord of the Minions

Back to top Go down

Post by FreestyleSkier Wed 30 Mar - 10:55:18

I would prefer if we stray away from BYOND and go to Blender... BYOND just had way to many limits with the art... Sure we can still do the gameplay with BYOND, but the graphics will be crap.

I don't know if the decision has already been made, but I vote Blender...

Eka
FreestyleSkier
FreestyleSkier
Hatchling
Hatchling

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfreredocsil Wed 30 Mar - 11:16:31

The Spaniard wrote:

@on-topic

Sorry for the essay guys, just had a few questions and thought i would explain why i asked them. thanks

I've already decided not to go with Blender for that, and other minor reasons. I would have to search a bit to actually find something to host the game on. And I know how bad it is to host something on an undedicated home computer, the gameplay would be very laggy for nearly everyone playing.

So I thought I would just stay with BYOND because all I have to do is get a server and connect that to the BYOND website and it's up and running. So even though we'll have that 32x32 restriction with the players' base (everything else is fine) we'll have everything we need to make the game and not have to scavenge the internet to find means of hosting/finishing the game via Blender.

On that note, once I get a computer I will be doing this while I look for someone to host: I will release the game in an offline version first, updating it whenever I put a reasonable amount of content compared to the last one released. The reason for the offline version is so that I can code the core systems of the game and have you guys test it out on your own computers and, hopefully, give me feedback on what has bugs or needs adjusting.

So let me explain this using an example:
---It's April 7th, I upload the game(offline version) on BYOND for download. You download it, it has your little blob character(or w/e it'll be) and you have a number of verbs(commands): "Attack" "Defend" "Summon monster" "Level Up" "Restart",etc,etc. You use these skills to test if everything is okay. Of course you won't really need to check if the summoning is okay because you won't have that when the game comes out, but check to see if Attacking is okay, defending works. THEN it's April 20th, I post on this site that I updated the game, you download the update and now you have all the classes and their abilities, you test it out, give me feedback and then finally once we get a server, I adjust the code to connect people and save their data to it, the game is finally online but still in development(meaning I will still need plenty of feedback on bugs, etc)

So yea, that's about it for now
Alfreredocsil
Alfreredocsil
THE GOD OF THIS REALM
THE GOD OF THIS REALM

Back to top Go down

Post by Durz Wed 30 Mar - 17:39:57

Umm Alfy, you didn't say anything. It was all quotes lol
Durz
Durz
Lord of the Minions
Lord of the Minions

Back to top Go down

Post by MINDROP Wed 30 Mar - 18:13:21

The quote answered the question.
MINDROP
MINDROP

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfreredocsil Wed 30 Mar - 19:29:50

Yep.
Alfreredocsil
Alfreredocsil
THE GOD OF THIS REALM
THE GOD OF THIS REALM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next